Terms and Conditions
- These terms define the basis on which we make this website available to you by whatever means of access.
- By using this website you will have agreed to these Terms and Conditions.
- The Terms and Conditions may change from time to time.
- This website is operated by SCHOLAR as the trading arm of Heriot-Watt University whose registered address is Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom, EH14 4AS.
- If you have any queries about these Terms and Conditions please email us at email@example.com.
Access and Registration
- Where appropriate, you must obtain and pay for all telecommunication services, computer equipment or other electronic devices and software necessary to connect to and use this website.
- Such services, equipment and software will not be provided by us and you will need to provide these from other suppliers. We do not have any control or responsibility for such suppliers.
- We provide some of this website on an open access basis but you will need to be registered with an organisation that has paid a subscription fee to use most areas. For some areas, we may restrict access by age and/or location of users. We reserve the right to refuse registration applications or access to the website e.g. to prevent fraudulent usage, inappropriate usage etc.
- We may issue you with a username, password and/or other means of access control or certain parts of it (together referred to as passwords). These are for your personal use only. You must not share your password to anyone else or allow anyone else to use them. You must not use anyone else’s passwords. You must inform us if you think your passwords are no longer confidential. If you do, or if we believe or have grounds for thinking it to be necessary, we may issue you with a replacement password.
- You agree not to abuse the access/registration process since maintaining the security and integrity of the website is necessary to enable our users to use it safely and effectively.
Contents of the Website
- The website contains a wide range of features (text, images, sound recordings, videos, software, data and other content of all forms) which we provide (together referred to as website content) which we wish you to make use of for educational reasons in a reasonable way.
- The website content is protected by copyright and other intellectual property and related rights which are owned by us and/or our suppliers. You may access the website and view the website content on-screen and where permitted by this website and by the terms provided to the subscribing organisations print out a reasonable number of copies of parts of the website as long as this is for your own private and non-commercial purposes only.
- For certain website content e.g. where payment is necessary or where our suppliers have required it, separate and/or additional usage terms and conditions may apply. These will be marked on the relevant area of the website where you will be given the opportunity to review and agree to them.
- You must not, or attempt to, make mass, automated or systematic extractions of the website content. You must not, or attempt to, use the website content to create or include it within another paper or electronic form or database without written permission from us, or try to sell it or re-distribute it. We reserve the right to prohibit or restrict the manner in which other websites link to or frame or re-present any or all of the website content.
- Decompiling, reverse engineering, disassembling, or otherwise reducing the code used in any software on this website into a readable form in order to examine the construction of such software is prohibited except to the extent permitted by law.
- If you have any questions regarding what you may or may not do with the content website or the use of the website generally please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The content of the website may include descriptions of certain practical and/or scientific experiments for schools or other educational establishments. Please note that the experiments shown or described on the website are, or have been, carried out by experienced personnel in a controlled environment by or under the guidance of qualified teachers, tutors, lecturers or technicians. Should you conduct any experiments at your school or other organisation, you do so at your own risk. It is your responsibility to ensure that all experiments are carried out under the school or other organisation’s health and safety policy and procedures and that all teachers or other staff undertaking any such practical experiments or demonstrations are responsible for carrying out risk assessments according to the health and safety policy of their school, other educational organisation or Education Authority.
- We reserve any other uses of, and rights in, the website content on behalf of ourselves and our suppliers, so you must obtain our written permission for such uses. We may not always be able to give our consent but please make such requests by contacting us at email@example.com.
- This website contains content which we believe is relevant to the subject or subjects covered and suitable for use in schools and other comparable organisations. There may be cultural sensitivities in certain countries and for certain individuals that make the use of some of the content inappropriate.
- The responsibility for ensuring that the content is suitable for the users and are available to view is that of the subscribing organisation.
- We take no responsibility for the cultural appropriateness or otherwise of the content on our website.
- The website content is provided for informational purposes only.
- This website may not be available at all times. It will be inaccessible during maintenance periods and may, from time to time, be subject to emergency maintenance or be unavailable for other technical reasons which may or may not be outside our control. The website cannot be guaranteed to be free from content or other errors or defects. We will, however, use reasonable care in attempting to correct any problems once we have become aware of them.
- Although we take reasonable care with the website content, we cannot guarantee that the website is free from content errors or typographical errors. The website is subject to change and therefore inaccuracies may occur from time to time. If you are in doubt about the accuracy of the content please validate any specific information with a third party or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The website may contain links to external website or third-part advertising. External websites may link to this website. Whilst we choose our commercial and non-commercial partners with reasonable care, we do not necessarily recommend, endorse or sponsor, and cannot control or are responsible for any third-party content that may be accessed through this website or from which this website may be accessed. Please use caution and care when using such third-party websites and content. Please read their own terms and conditions of use and privacy policies.
- We shall not be liable and shall not compensate you for any loss or damage you may suffer unless we have failed to carry out our obligations under these Terms and Conditions to a reasonable standard or breached any duties imposed on us by law, including if we have caused death or personal injury by our negligence, and that failure is not attributed to: (a) your own fault, for example, your failure to abide by recommendations previously advised by us; (b) a third-party unconnected with our performance of this agreement, for instance, problems due to communications network performance, congestion, connectivity or the performance of your computer equipment or device; or (c) any other events which neither we nor our suppliers could have foreseen or forestalled even if we have taken reasonable care.
- Accordingly, we will not be responsible for loss or damage to your computer hardware or device or software or other personal property or any other losses which you suffer as a result of the content of the website, including content on experiments or demonstrations, unless this is due to our own neglect or failure to take reasonable precautions and such losses are reasonably foreseen. We recommend that you (a) take care to verify the suitability and compatibility of your computer systems prior to use; and (b) take reasonable precautions to protect against harmful programmes or devises including through installation of anti-virus software.
- This is an educational website and, as such, we shall not in any event be liable for losses related to any business such as lost data, lost profits or surpluses or business interruption.
- We shall not be liable to inaccuracies or omissions in the website content which could be perceived by you as responsible for the performance in external examinations or other educational assessments.
- If you wish to terminate your registration for this website at any time please contact us at email@example.com.
- Unless you and we agree otherwise e.g. as part of any subscription arrangement, to which terms apply, we may terminate the provision to this website to you at any time. We shall make reasonable efforts to give you prior notice if we do but this may not always be possible.
- If you are in breach of these Terms and Conditions and we do not take action against you, we may still take action against you later or if you breach the same Term on another occasion or if you breach a different Term.
- If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is, for any reason, held to be unenforceable, illegal or invalid in some other way, the unenforceable, illegal or invalid provision will not affect the remainder of these Terms and Conditions, and they will continue in full force and effect.
- We will try to resolve any disagreements quickly and efficiently. If you are not content with the way we deal with any disagreement we may agree to refer the matter to arbitration but you and we are not restricted from bringing legal proceedings. These Terms and Conditions are governed by the relevant Scottish law and you and we agree to only bring legal actions about these Terms and Conditions in a Scottish court.
- We intend to rely upon the written terms set out in these Terms and Conditions as the entire understanding between us relating to your use of the website. If you and we agree any changes, please make sure you request that these are confirmed in writing. That way we can avoid any problems surrounding what we or you are expected to do in relations to such changes.
- Only you or us have the right to enforce any provision under these Terms and Conditions.